Updated: Mar 22
As a professional photographer in the DMV area, I understand the excitement that surrounds cherry blossom season. In all honestly it's my favorite time of year. The stunning pink and white blossoms that bloom throughout the region create the perfect backdrop for capturing beautiful and memorable images.
If you're looking for a photographer to hire during cherry blossom season, there are several key considerations to keep in mind.
Firstly, timing is crucial. Book your photographer sooner rather than later.
I offer Sunrise sessions ONLY during cherry blossom season and let me tell you why in a moment.
The DMV region in the early onset of Spring is overtaken with a large amount of tourist. If you're not use to the amount of people visiting the cherry blossom it can be an overheating endeavor.
The cherry blossom season is not just a celebration of the beauty of these exquisite trees it also marks the "'Sakura' in Japanese culture it signifies the welcoming of Spring. There is an enter festival which offers daily festivities. When you add a festival, the end of the winter season the pending excitement of new warmer seasons ahead cherry blossoms equate to large amounts of people are far as the eye can see venturing out of hibernation ready to enjoy the blossoms.
1. My sessions are schedule at sunrise when the lighting is best and the crowds are at a minimum. In March, sunrise typically occurs around 5:30 - 6:00 AM,
2. Which means both the client and myself must arrive at the location 20-30 minutes before that time frame to account for parking and preparation.
3. Permits are required for photographers to legally take photos during cherry blossom season. As a photographer, I always carry my permit with me and there is typically an additional fee charged to the client to cover the cost of the permit.
4. This is a necessary step to ensure that we are legally able to capture the images we desire.
When it comes to location, the Tidal Basin is undoubtedly the most iconic and sought-after location for cherry blossom photography.
5. However, it's important to note that this area can get extremely crowded during peak season. The magnolias are another ideal location that often bloom in conjunction with the cherry blossoms.
6. Capturing images under the magnolia tree can be absolutely spectacular and a unique twist on the traditional cherry blossom images.
Finally, shooting at sunrise in smaller locations can allow us to capture images at multiple locations before the areas become overwhelmed by tourists and locals alike. This is a great way to get a variety of shots and maximize our time during the session.
Overall, if you're looking for a photographer to capture your cherry blossom images, it's important to consider all of these factors. From timing and permits to location and the shooting process, there are many important elements to keep in mind to ensure a successful and enjoyable photography session. As a professional photographer with years of experience, I'm passionate about capturing the beauty of cherry blossom season and creating stunning images that my clients will treasure for years to come.